Loading...

Monday, July 26, 2021

Category: Entertainment

Parasite director chairs Venice Film Festival jury

South Korean director of “Parasite” Bong Joon-ho will chair the jury at the upcoming Venice Film Festival, and the jury includes Chinese director Chloe Zhao among its members.

The course, which is the seventy-eighth, will be held between the first of next September and the eleventh of it in Venice. In 2019, “Parasite” won the Palme d’Or at the French Festival de Cannes, and in 2020 it achieved a historic double win at the Oscars, winning the Best Foreign Film and Best Film award.

In addition to Bong Joon-Ho on the panel, a number of big names will be on the panel, including Chinese director Chloe Zhao, whose movie “Nomadland” won three Oscars this year, one of which was in the best picture category.

Also on the committee is the French actress Virginie Evra, the heroine of Paul Verhoeven’s “Benedetta”, which was shown at the Cannes Film Festival recently, and deals with the same-sex relationship between two nuns in a medieval convent.

Also on the committee is the Italian director and screenwriter Saverio Costanzo, owner of the series “Lamica Geniale”, which is based on a book of the same title by Elena Ferrante.

The panel also includes British theater and film actress, singer and composer Cynthia Erivo, Canadian actress and producer Sarah Gidon, and Romanian director Alexandre Nanau.

Britney Spears refuses to sing under the tutelage of her ‘murderous’ father

The famous American pop star Britney Spears said that she will not sing again, as long as her father controls her artistic career, considering that the guardianship she underwent 13 years ago “killed her dreams.”

The statement she made in a long post on her official page on “Instagram” is her latest public comment regarding the guardianship that controls her personal and financial affairs, which she is actively seeking to end.

“I won’t sing on a stage anytime soon, as long as my father controls what I wear, say, do or think,” wrote the songstress of “Piece of Me.”

“I’d much rather share videos, from my private living room, than go on stage in Vegas,” she added.

Popstar Jamie Spears’ father has been the sole controller of her $60 million fortune since the court-appointed him as her guardian in 2008, and the 39-year-old Spears, who suffers from psychological problems, has not sung at any party since late 2018 at the conclusion of a tour. International.

New lawyer
Last week, Spears appointed a new lawyer to represent her in her attempts to end the tutelage she described as cruelly abusive. “This tutelage killed my dreams, so all I have is hope, and hope is the only thing in the world that is so hard to kill,” she wrote.

“I didn’t like the way documentaries evoke humiliating moments from the past, I got over it a long time ago,” she added.

The documentary, “Framing Britney Spears,” drew more attention to the tutelage, increased public support for Spears, and was nominated last week for two Emmy Awards.

Spears and her lawyer have yet to file a formal request to end the guardianship, and the court will hold its next hearing in the case on September 29 in Los Angeles.

Despite huge merger and acquisition deals… “Netflix” is still the strongest

Netflix’s grip on broadcast audiences is causing other media companies to pursue expensive mergers and acquisitions with a whiff of desperation.

What’s the irony about it? Netflix can still beat them all, without spending a penny on any competitors.

Acquisition spree
Brian Roberts of Comcast Corp. is the latest media mogul, said to be looking for acquisitions.

The Wall Street Journal, citing unnamed sources, reported that he is considering deals for ViacomCBS — which itself was formed from a fairly recent merger — and Roku to try and improve the cable provider’s offerings.

While he thinks about it, Discovery’s David Zaslav works out a deal for AT&T’s WarnerMedia division.

Wireless carrier AT&T is the latest company to pull out of broadcasting, allowing cable networks and tech giants to fully acquire it.

Amazon agreed last month to buy Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), the film studio best known for its James Bond films.

Meanwhile, Sony’s Playstation Vu and Quibi have closed down after realizing how hard it is to make money.

Massive spending
Expensive content is the secret behind huge indebtedness. The broadcast wars pushed undoubtedly dominant companies like Comcast and Walt Disney into unprecedented amounts of debt to protect their market share and position.

AT&T has become known as the world’s largest non-bank borrower after it acquired Time Warner for $102 billion in 2018; Three years later, that deal was scrapped.

In 2019, Disney swallowed 21st Century Fox for $85 billion, adding to the buyout trilogy of former CEO Bob Iger, Marvel, and Pixar — which laid the foundation for Disney. Plus” and “Comcast”.

After losing out on Fox, she acquired Sky for about $50 billion, and Shari Redstone reconstructed her father’s two vanished entities: CBS and Viacom.

Netflix control
All of these mergers and acquisitions in the past three years have been worth more than Netflix’s market value, yet they haven’t been able to break Netflix’s control of more than 200 million subscribers or the many investors who favor its shares.

In fact, this leading streaming company holds the most valuable deal currency in the industry but has not used it for any deals.

It is worth noting that the newcomers are trying to be a lot like Netflix without adopting the guiding principles that made it a favorite, namely keeping things simple, preferring content creators over bankers, making sure the technology is the best, and offering offers without ads.

Angelina Jolie wins court case against Brad Pitt

Actress Angelina Jolie has won her legal battle against her ex-husband, Brad Pitt, by removing the judge who was overseeing their divorce and custody of their children.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie filed for divorce in 2016 and have since been confronted by lawyers, after they were once the most charming couple in Hollywood, and formed a family of six children.

Last May, Judge John Oderkerk, the same who married them in France in 2014, decided to grant Brad Pitt joint custody of his children with his ex-wife. This retired judge is considering the case in a private framework and not in a court.

But the California Court of Appeals ruled Friday that he had financially benefited from a separate job with Brad Pitt’s lawyer without disclosing it, providing an argument in favor of Angelina Jolie, who was demanding that he stop him. This decision brings the case back to square one, as it is supposed to be re-examined before a new judge.

The meeting between the couple dates back to 2004 during the filming of the movie “Mr. and Mrs. Smith”, in which they played the role of a married couple. At the time, Pitt was still married to actress Jennifer Aniston.

Brad Pitt, 57, was accused of hitting one of his children during a flight between France and Los Angeles in September 2016, shortly before Angelina filed for divorce, but was acquitted by the US Federal Police and social workers.

In 2018, the two Hollywood stars reached an amicable agreement on the custody of their children, but it seems that they abandoned this agreement.

The terms of the agreement were not announced, but the American media indicated that Brad Pitt is seeking joint custody, while Angelina Jolie is trying to obtain exclusive custody.

A source familiar with the case told AFP after the ruling in May that the actress believed that “she and her children did not receive a fair trial” and that she would continue to “search for the best solution for the children”.

Space Jam tops US box office

“Space Jam: A New Legacy” grossed $31.6 million over the weekend, surprisingly taking the top spot in the US box office with the action-adventure movie “Black Widow.”

The film starring LeBron James, Cassandra Star, and Michael B Jordan, directed by Malcolm De Lee, while “Black Widow” came in second place, with revenues of $ 26.3 million, starring Scarlett Johansson and Florence Page and directed by Kate Shortland.

In third place, the horror movie “Escape Room: Tournament of Champions”, with revenues of $8.4 million, starring Taylor Russell, Holland Roden, and Isabel Foreman, directed by Adam Robitel.

The action and adventure movie “F9: The Fast Saga” came in fourth place, with revenues of $7.6 million. The film stars Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, and John Cena, and is directed by Justin Lin.

The second part of the animated movie (The Boss Baby 2), which revolves within the framework of a comedy adventure, came in fifth place, with revenues of 4.7 million dollars, starring Alec Baldwin, James Marsden, and Amy Sedaris, and directed by Tom McGrath.

Meghan Markle is producing an animated series for Netflix

Archwell Productions, the production company owned by the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle, announced the production of a family animated series, for broadcast on the Netflix platform, indicating that she will also be its executive producer, but did not specify when it will be shown.

The company, set up by Meghan and her husband Prince Harry, said in a statement on Wednesday that the series focuses on the adventures of a 12-year-old girl, drawing inspiration from a diverse group of influential women in history.

The series, called “Pearl”, is the first series announced by Netflix, Meghan, and Harry. They sealed the deal last year after they gave up her royal duties and moved to California.

“Our heroine, Pearl, like many girls her age, is on a journey of self-discovery as she seeks to overcome the difficulties of everyday life,” Megan said in a statement.

The animated series follows the announcement last year of a collaboration with Netflix to produce a documentary series called “Invictus Games” for wounded soldiers and women.

Last month, Meghan launched the book “The Bench”, a children’s story about fatherhood, which she said was inspired by her husband Prince Harry’s relationship with their first child Archie.

Last month, Meghan launched the book “The Bench”, a children’s story about fatherhood, which she said was inspired by her husband Prince Harry’s relationship with their first child Archie.

Cannes fans greet the new Sean Penn movie with applause

Flag Day, Sean Penn’s latest film that he directed and starred in, received a standing ovation during its screening in Cannes, Saturday; The audience applauded for several minutes.

The 60-year-old American star attended the screening of his Palme d’Or nominated film, along with his daughter, who worked with her brother Huber Jack Penn, who starred for the first time in one of his father’s films.

“We trusted the script, with a story that can surprise us and hopefully the audience,” Sean Penn said upon arriving on the red carpet before the show.

The classic is based on the true story of a father named John Fogel (Sean Penn) who lives off petty theft and fails to provide the required education for his children.

With poignant and sometimes pathetic behavior, the father struggles to maintain a successful life in front of his children, but his past pursues him and overthrows all his efforts, as happened to him when he received threats from his creditors in front of his daughter. The latter (Dylan Penn) is trying to rebuild herself despite everything, and she does her best to re-establish the relationship with her father.

The events of the film take place between the seventies and nineties of the twentieth century. Digital techniques were used in half of Sean Penn’s scenes to reduce the appearance of the famous actor who previously appeared in my films (“Mystic River”, for which he won an Oscar in 2004), or “Milk”, for which he won a second Oscar in 2009. ).

Sean Penn has a long history with the festival, having first completed a quarter of a century ago as an actor in Nick Cassavetes’ She’s So Lovely and is competing for the third time in the race for the Palme d’Or as director.

Matt Damon: I Immersed myself in the lives of oil workers for ‘Steelwater’

American actor Matt Damon said Friday that he has completely immersed himself for weeks in life with workers in an oil rig in Oklahoma for his role as a troubled American man who travels to France to help his imprisoned daughter, in the new movie “Steelwater” based on a true story.

Damon, who returned a glimmer of Hollywood glamor to the red carpet at the Cannes International Film Festival after the Corona pandemic caused the cancellation of last year’s session, said he “spent time driving his car and living with oil workers in the state to understand the way his character thinks in the movie Stillwater.”

Matt Damon talks with reporters before a charity screening of the new Jason Bourne movie for Oklahoma Kidz Charities at Harkins Bricktown 16 in Oklahoma City, Thursday, July 21, 2016. Photo by Bryan Terry, The Oklahoman

The film deals with the struggles that Baker faces in a foreign country as he attempts to overcome cultural and language barriers to help his daughter, played by Abigail Breslin.

In the out-of-competition film, Damon plays oil worker Bill Baker who travels to Marseille, France to visit his daughter, Alison, who has fallen out of love with him in prison.

Alison is serving a prison sentence for the murder of her roommate. The film is based on the story of American student Amanda Knox and her boyfriend, who was convicted and later released in the 2007 murder of British student Meredith Krecher in her apartment in Perugia, Italy.

Damon said during a press conference after the film’s world premiere at the world’s largest film festival, “I’ve been invited into their homes and for a barbecue, and someone would pull a guitar and start singing church hymns. It’s a very unique place and completely different from where I grew up, I opened [the experience] Eyes”.

Damon added that being a father helped him identify with Baker, who is trying to mend his broken relationship with his daughter. “Because I have kids, I feel like everything is more available in my career emotionally,” he said.

Director of the opening film “Cannes”: I do not portray reality and do not make political films

French director Leos Carax returned to the cinematic scene again, with his musical comedy “Annette”, after an absence of nearly 9 years, as his film was chosen to open the 74th session of the Cannes Film Festival.

The film tells the story of comedian Henry and international singer Anne, while the birth of their daughter shakes up their relationship, which turns into a tragic love story, as the film deals with nightlife and stardom, its rise and fall, as well as women’s violence and harassment, as well as a difficult crisis Reconciling fame and building a family

“Annette” starring French actress Marion Cotillard, American Adam Driver, and Simon Helberg, while Sparks wrote the script and music for the project.

Film censorship to ensure national security is not violated in Hong Kong

Hong Kong authorities announced, on Friday, that all films are subject to scrutiny, to ensure that they do not “violate national security”, under additional powers granted to the censorship body, in a new step in controlling political and artistic freedoms in the city.

The regional government said, in a statement, that “the film censorship law has been expanded to include any work or activity that may amount to a crime that poses a threat to national security.”

The new directives, which entered into force immediately, stated that “when considering the film as a whole, and the extent of its impact on viewers, the person performing the censorship mission must respect his duties to prevent any actions or activities that endanger national security.”

The statement noted “the common responsibility of the people of Hong Kong to safeguard the sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity of the People’s Republic of China.”

The new step means that the method of censorship of films used in mainland China has reached Hong Kong.

“An attack on freedom”
“This new censorship will make it more difficult for local filmmakers in Hong Kong to use their democratic rights to make artistic work and challenge unfair bodies of power,” Norwegian director Anders Hammer told AFP.

“It’s been two years since the pro-democracy protests began, and I regret to see another serious example of Beijing’s assault on civil liberties in Hong Kong,” added the director, who was nominated for an Oscar for his documentary “Do Not Split” on the Hong Kong protests.

Films are tightly censored in mainland China, where only a handful of Western commercial films and documentaries are allowed to be released each year, and Hong Kong’s “film censorship authority” has long been less strict.

A government spokesman stated that those responsible for censoring films will work to “balance between protecting individual rights and freedoms on the one hand, and protecting legitimate societal interests on the other.”

The authorities of Hong Kong, which enjoys semi-autonomous rule, launched a massive security campaign to root out opponents of Beijing after the city was rocked in 2019 by massive demonstrations punctuated by violence.

A new law imposed by China and an official campaign called “Patriots Rule Hong Kong” have criminalized most forms of dissent since then, and the pro-democracy movement has been clamped down, with films becoming the last target.

%d bloggers like this: